Runners experience a wide variety of potential injuries including plantar fasciitis, heel pain, shin splints, knee pain and hip pain – to name a few. Acupuncture works incredibly well to treat a wide variety of running related injuries as well as help prevent running injuries. Since I started practicing medicine, athletes have been some of my favorite patients. I admire athletes and closely resonate with the amount of determination and self-discipline it takes to be an athlete.
I recently started training for my first half marathon. After completing my first six mile run I began to notice symptoms for which my patients often seek treatment: aching shins, tight quads, and sore feet. Hence my inspiration to write this post!
When starting a new exercise or training program always do the following.
- Talk with your medical provider to verify that you are medically healthy enough to train.
- Get expert advice: Hiring a trainer is a well worth the investment. I highly recommend the trainers over at The Refinery in Northeast Portland. Getting a trainer can help evaluate your gait and set you up with a training schedule that will decrease injury and maximize your workouts. They also will help keep you motivated!
- Get proper shoes: Good shoes will absorb excessive impact and spare your shins and knees from injury. Many running shoe stores around Portland have trained experts who can evaluate your feet and recommend shoes based on the arch of your foot.
- Hydrate: Drinking water (and lots of it) will keep your hydrated and loose!
- Take herbs: Depending on your specific needs we can customized Chinese herbs to decrease pain and strengthen your tendons and ligaments, much like the ancient Chinese Warriors took!
Hurt yourself? Get acupuncture quickly! After an injury the sooner you get treatment the faster you can train again. For more information on how acupuncture can work for you give us a call or schedule an appointment online.
Good luck runners! And maybe I’ll see you running around Northeast Portland!
#acupuncture #athletes #runners #sports injuries #acupuncture for runners #Portland #Oregon #Northeast Portland #shin splints #knee pain #hip pain #plantar fasciitis